The thing that I'm finding hardest about trying out some of these new teaching approaches is giving more detailed language feedback. So I am so grateful for the template that Jason Renshaw made available here.
It's funny I was thinking about this yesterday. Whilst this resource is great for learners in its own right in many ways the resources and templates Jason's making available are kind of like scaffolding for teachers. In the same way that I make worksheets simpler or create boxes and grids to encourage my learners to try new things... these templates do the same for me!
So whilst the learners were on their break, (following the adjectives session I described here) I rushed to the staff room, typed their errors into the template and printed it.
It's here if you're interested...
They then corrected all their spellings as a group without too much trouble (we've done this before) and we went on to the sentence errors.
However, they found the sentence errors much harder to correct. As did I! I was desperately trying to think of how to explain some of the rules off the cuff while they tried to figure out what the mistake actually were. I must admit I didn't do all of them. Below you can see my attempts at some.
I actually tried to convince them to delay the rule and pattern section till next class to give me time to prepare but they really wanted to do it there and then. Which in itself is encouraging! What was also encouraging was that for the first error they just could not see the missing article but after we'd gone over the rules/patterns they immediately spotted a missing article in the third sentence.
Well by the end of this whole session I was exhausted... but... it made me realise how much I do actually know and how useful that is for the students especially when delivered in such a focused way to meet their individual needs.
My plan is now to brush up on my grammar knowledge using this great book by Scott Thornbury! ;-p